28 October 2011

My failed crispy crepes!

Well yeah, my very first version and supposed-to-be-crispy crepes failed miserably. Yesterday I reached home around 6pm, and since the downpour was tad heavy I decided to cook something for dinner (and let hubby to go and pick up the kids later). It was either pancakes or crepes, but since I badly wanting to try out the crepe recipes, so it was crepes then! Took out the printed English recipe, lined up all the ingredients, have them measured right as stated in the recipe, heat up my non-stick pan and there we go my crepe batter in the pan.

First crepe, failed as it didn’t turn out as thin as I want. Second try, fail again..still thick. Oh I forgot to tell you that I’ve actually spread some peanut butter+chocolate jam on one side of the crepe while waiting the sides to turn brown, and also drizzled it with Hershey's chocolate syrup before slides it off the pan once cooked. Well my oh my, after so many attempts still my crepes didn’t went as thin as the one that we ate at Mines (mode: SEDEY).

When my kids are back, Ammar demanded for direct feeding, so I left the remaining batter to Hb and let him settled the rest. Hb said probably it was something wrong with my batter. I argued back saying I followed exactly as what was written on the recipe, in fact I’ve done few research and made few comparisons on the different version of ‘crispy’ crepes available on the net. Hb asked me to find crepe recipe that resembles apam balik. I told him probably I am lacking that soft skills required to make a good thin crispy crepe, or probably bec I don’t have that one tool used by this one lady at the kiosk where the tool is used to thin up and spread the batter evenly on the pan (must do this quickly else the batter will cook and becomes unspreadable anymore!). Anyway that tool is L-shape and made from steel just in case u guys are curious how does it looks like :p

Ah back to my crepes story, the taste was surprisingly good actually (haha perasan kejap) despite the looks that was not appealing at all. Idlan ate 3pcs and firas had 2 for himself. I asked idlan, which one do you prefer crepes or pancakes…and he immediately answered crepes! Me? Hehe while making the crepes I’ve had actually ate few of them sampai tak sedar brape ketul dah ngap!! Mr Hb? Hmm dia makan sajer…and he said it was like eating lempeng. Tapi I personally think my crepes taste even better than lempeng :p

Pictures later yer coz I forgot to bring my SD card. But in case any of you want to try out the recipe, here go I pasted one for you :) It's good to have this for brekkie, serves it with jam, whipped cream, chocolate sauce or anything...mmg sedaplah!

Ingredients – source: ALLRECIPES.COM
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot.

p/s: i think next time i must add more milk/water to make the batter becomes more fluid so as to get the right batter consistency.

No comments: